The nation’s energy needs are increasing every day as consumers demand reliable and affordable fuel for their daily lives. Yet, insufficient pipeline capacity severely limits access to safe and economical energy sources. That is why critical infrastructure projects like Keystone XL Pipeline are vital. Keystone XL will help safely and efficiently deliver 1.1 million barrels of crude oil to hungry markets across the Midwest and as far south as Texas.
Keystone XL represents a safe and environmentally sound way to transport the energy this country needs now and in the future – environmental sustainability being a core priority. TransCanada is working closely with federal and state agencies to ensure the land and environment remain protected through project construction and operation.
- I believe the Nebraska Public Service Commission should approve the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline route due to the following environmental commitments:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by as much as 19 million metric tons (offsetting as many as 200 ocean tankers per year)
- Protect river crossings, creeks and wetlands with various water-crossing techniques including state-of-the-art horizontal directional drilling (HDD) techniques to bury the pipeline well below river beds
- Reduce soil erosion by installing sediment barriers, trench plugs, mulching and other methods
- Develop and implement plans to ensure all resources are protected to maintain their natural function within the environment
The proposed route has also been carefully selected to minimize the potential for impacts to surface water resources, as well as other sensitive environments, by avoiding them whenever possible and altering the route to limit the impacted area.
I believe Keystone XL Pipeline is critical in securing continued national energy security, supporting economic development, and improving the reliability of North America’s pipeline network – all this while operating in a manner that respects the environment and landowners.
I urge the Nebraska Public Service Commission to approve this critical project without delay.